SPW Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the essential upkeep requirements?  (Read 7452 times)
zilchet

« on: May 23, 16, 12:38, PM »

Hi all

Thanks for letting me join.

I have field that I have let some local travellers keep a couple of ponies on for the last couple of years. Previously they had them on a small plot of land at the corner of the turning and relied on food donations from passers-by and would only move them when folk raised concern about their upkeep, but would move them back after a while. I have a plot of nearly two acres and most of that is grazing land so we offered to have them on our field. We have not got a lot of spare cash, but we try to use the land to foster or look after animals that come our way. Before the the ponies we had sheep when someone got kicked off their land, and we have a collection of rescued dogs, cats, ducks and chickens.

For the last two years we have kept the ponies until the weather gets wet and they turn the field into mud, until the owner will take them back. They usually come back in the spring half the weight and covered in mud.

The owner of the ponies has recently died and the wife does not want to keep them. They are a mother and daughter. The mother has been ridden we think and is a gentle soul. She has no problems wearing a head collar and can be easily led around. The daughter we think has never had any training. She is a pretty thing but is hand-shy, kicks willingly and tries to bite. But, I have taken to her. I've always been wary of horses but I have tried to get to know her. Last year she begun to let us brush her, but she's just come back and we seem to be back on square one. But I will sit in the field with her and she will nibble my clothes, sniff my face and let me, if I move carefully, stroke her neck and face. I have played with a head collar with her, but not in a position to put it on her. She originally shied away when she saw it. But when the pair of them have a "mad-half-hour" it is a delight to see them racing around the field as I do not think they have had that kind of freedom.

Not sure what to do now though. If the owners are going to get rid of them I cant see that anyone will want the young one, and I cant bear the thought of her going to the knackers. My other half who has had horses before and is usually right anyway, says we cant take the risk of keeping them financially. Feed in the winter, farrier (they have never been shod and their feet need trimming, not that anyone will get anywhere near the young one, usually she is wrestled to the ground for clipping or feet work I have been told). Vets bills etc

Can anyone tell me what the expected cost of keeping these two might be? A difficult question I know, but it would help if I know what the minimum is that they need. Routine vet visits, worming etc and bills, farrier work, insurance? Just a ball park would help, I know there is always the potential for them becoming ill, but what is the minimum I'd need to give them to keep them happy?

Thanks for your time and help.

zilchet

« Reply #1 on: May 24, 16, 02:01, PM »

Not a busy forum then huh? Huh
sue moore
Global Moderator
SPW Megastar

« Reply #2 on: Jun 09, 16, 07:20, PM »

Hi Zilchet, Welcome to SPW.
I am afraid to ask a question such as how much expenditure would 2 Ponys cost is a bit like asking how long a piece of string is!, you would have Passports, Hoof trimming, feed Summer and Winter, hay, straw, you would need a shelter for again Summer and Winter, Vet Bills for Inoculations, teeth rasping, and thats providing there wouldn't be any emergency Vet visits, worming programme, de-lousing, brushes, head collars, rugs the list is pretty endless to write down all, thats if you could remember all of what they would need!
The question really is would you both have the commitment to go out in all winds and weathers, 2/3 times a day every day of the year, if you went on Holiday you would have to make sure you had someone coming in to look after them 2/3 times a day.
You don't say where you are in the World, that too is a factor, I am sorry I cannot give you the right answer as there is no right answer, I am in it for the long game, I go without to look after my lot, but that is mine and my husbands choice, but we are rewarded a millions times over, just a welcoming call from one of them is enough to send the chills down my spine, reward enough.

SUE

That which doesn't kill us, make's us stronger !!
SPW Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: