SPW Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: advice on feeding yearling  (Read 30513 times)
sherbetdip

« on: May 01, 14, 02:52, PM »

Hi

any advice on what to feed a yearling mini Shetland alongside my 4 yr old mini Appaloosa/Shetland cross would be appreciated.

My 4 year old is currently on scant grass in a 1/2 acre paddock which the farrier says is perfect for her. I give her a handful of Happy Hoof in the morning and again in the evening (but am about to switch to Safe and Sound) which seems to suit her - she is on the slightly underweight side and I am thinking of increasing her feed with soaked hay just to get a bit more weight on her, but will play it by ear. Her weight has gone up and down a bit (only slightly - and never overweight) over the past 3 months.

We have a 1 acre paddock of long grass on a hill which I am considering for the yearling as I'm told she will needs lots more grass to help her develop healthily - and am thinking of turning the 4 year old out on this with a grazing muzzle. The 4 year old was very happy on the hilly paddock in the winter and I think the exercise really helped her develop good muscle - but the farrier was really cross and lectured me about laminitis etc. Her current paddock is flat and uninspiring and I would like her to have more natural stimulation.

I want the two ponies to spend as much time together as possible so don't want their different feeding requirements to prevent that.

Is the long grass okay for the yearling - and has anyone had positive experiences with grazing muzzles?

Thank you

sue moore
Global Moderator
SPW Megastar

« Reply #1 on: May 17, 14, 08:33, AM »

Hi there, I have a similar problem with my large horses, one would suffer with Laminitis if allowed on more than a blade of grass and his companion on the other hand has to have vast amounts of feed/forage to keep her weight on, good doer versus bad doer, so what I do is restrict the grazing by electric fencing and moving it every day, they both have a feed, but the mare has a good feed where as the Arab has a token feed, more for his psychological well being than anything else, they have hay too, all year round, it is a bit of a juggle at times and I would like nothing better than to just open a gate and allow them into a paddock full of grass but its not going to happen as it could kill him, might add too that he (touch wood) hasn't had Laminitis for over 10 years doing what I am doing, being that food was his trigger.
I haven't used a grazing muzzle, I am afraid that wouldn't bone well with me, a bit like taking a child to a sweet shop and not allowing them to have any, thats my opinion, I know others have had great success using them.
My Shetlands on the other hand have free roaming in what ever paddock I put them in, but there are more of them so I don't have to watch them as closely.
« Last Edit: May 20, 14, 02:52, PM by sue moore » Logged

SUE

That which doesn't kill us, make's us stronger !!
SPW Forum

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: