SPW Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fresh Air!!!  (Read 8985 times)
amanda
Global Moderator

Amanda

« Reply #10 on: Jul 01, 05, 06:21, PM »

Unfortunately, I too have a couple of lammi ponies, one of which is grossly fat, and the other skinny and poor :?

Sadly, "starving" them of nutrients can bring on a whole different set of problems, so found it best to keep them on a limited bare paddock with old hay to keep them amused, and a high fibre diet (Alfalfa lite & new high fibre complete nuggets have worked a treat for me this year).  The skinny one gets Baileys 14 as a build up and touch wood, glad to say its under control.

Holly

« Reply #11 on: Jul 02, 05, 06:20, PM »

I know what you mean about nutrients, you should never starve a lamanitic pony, it will only make things worse. I give mine a vit and mineral supplement with hay which keeps her o.k. and in the winter she has safe & sound. What I cant work out is how the other mares on the same paddock stay so fat! They should be as slim as her. If they are getting enough from the paddock and hay to maintain their round figures then why hasn't the laminitic prone pony put some weight back on. It's a mystery to me.

Rushetts Stud
wendy
SPW Megastar

Helawi Scotch Mist 2009

« Reply #12 on: Jul 03, 05, 06:08, PM »

Cranberry Juice Karen thats a new one how much do you use and is it the same stuff as you get from the supermarket or is it a special equestrian product

FOR EVERY MINUTE YOU ARE ANGRY
           YOU LOSE SIXTY SECONDS OF HAPPINESS
Goodgollymissmolly
Super Hero Member

« Reply #13 on: Jul 04, 05, 04:40, PM »

I probably have the only not greedy Shetland in the world who keeps herself slim and will even walk away from her breakfast. A couple of weeks ago I went on to the Dodson and Horrell website and filled in a questionnaire about this pony. They were very helpful and appreciated the risk of laminitis. The lady phoned me back and sent a diet sheet,  which included their new Dodson and Horrell Equigold Leisure. She even sent me a free sample to see if the little pony would eat it. It is in nugget form and the pony loved it, she also looks slightly rounder and is in great form. Give it a try.
Goodgollymissmolly Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Hitch your wagon to a star.
karen
Super Hero Member

« Reply #14 on: Jul 04, 05, 08:37, PM »

hi wendy

we have given a cup full for a week to detox and no its the real stuff from the health shops mustnt be concentrated.

wendy
SPW Megastar

Helawi Scotch Mist 2009

« Reply #15 on: Jul 05, 05, 03:53, PM »

SorryKaren to be a twit is that a cup full a Day in there chaff or something(might try that myself without the chaff of course)

FOR EVERY MINUTE YOU ARE ANGRY
           YOU LOSE SIXTY SECONDS OF HAPPINESS
jem
Global Moderator
Super Hero Member

« Reply #16 on: Jul 05, 05, 05:57, PM »

Just reading through the posts on this topic doesnt it just highlight how each pony is different

Just like people really, all shapes and sizes
some can eat for England without gaining a pound
others only have to sniff food and you can see the bulge in the belly
i think the moral of all the posts are to feed and manage your pony to his individual requirements
as they are all different

shirl
SPW Megastar

« Reply #17 on: Jul 05, 05, 06:28, PM »

Jem,
You have the same thoughts as me on this one!!
shirl

Sam

« Reply #18 on: Jul 18, 05, 01:47, PM »

We cut and dry nettles and feed them add lib..it seems to work and is loads cheaper than buying it..after all the hedge rows etc are free!!!!!
Zab
Super Hero Member

Sleepy Kiz

« Reply #19 on: Jul 19, 05, 02:06, PM »

Yes agree with Jem and Shirl. ponies r jus like people each one different!!!

SPW Forum

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: